Wednesday, February 1, 2012
Yummy Chicken Pot Pie
This is the yummiest pot pie recipe. Every time I make it for someone they ask for the recipe. I found this on all recipes, but I have made it dozens of times and changed it around a lot. Enjoy!
About 1/2 rotisserie chicken de-boned (depending on size and how meaty you want it)
1 cup red skinned potatoes chopped
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
4 chicken bullion cubes
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
2. In a saucepan, combine potatoes, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and 2 chicken bullion cubes, boil for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth, milk. Add 2 chicken bullion cubes. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat
4. Add vegetables and shredded rotisserie chicken Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
* You don't have to prebake your bottom crust, but if it's going to sit in your fridge for a few hours before cooking I recommend baking the bottom crust for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Also don't forget to poke holes with a fork so that it doesn't puff up.