Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Browned Butter Cookies


I got this recipe from a friend's blog, made them on Saturday, and decided they were so good I had to share on this blog.
From one blog to another!
Recipe found on justcookalready.com

2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
3 egg yolks
1 ½ teaspoon soda
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups flour

Beat the butter and sugar together. Add the egg yolks and salt. Then add the soda and the extract. Fold in the flour. Stir until combined. Form balls the size of walnuts. Chill dough balls for 1 hour in the refrigerator. Dip the top in sugar. Press flat with the bottom of a glass and place on an un-greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden. Don't over cook. Remove from oven and let the cookies stand for 1 minute on the cookie sheet. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely. Frost with browned butter frosting (listed below)

Browned Butter Frosting
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
½ cup heavy cream or more desired consistency
(I wanted really think icing so I could swirl them like the photo so I used more sugar)

In a small skillet, brown butter over medium heat until golden brown flecks appear. Butter will become a little foamy. Stir now and then to make sure the butter cooks evenly. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and cream. Beat on medium high until a creamy texture to your liking forms. Spread onto cooled butter crinkles.

I am going to make them for book club on the 15th, so you can all try them!

5 comments:

Wendy Lu said...

Thanks for posting my recipe! I have to say this is my favorite recipe out of the entire cookbook 101 Gourmet Cookies- I have plenty more great recipes on my website wendypaulcreations.com. Happy Baking!- Wendy Paul

Christine said...

Baking soda? or like pop?

Rennie Baker said...

Baking soda or soda pop and if soda pop - what kind?????

workerbee23 said...

I would assume that it is baking soda since most cookie recipes call for it.

Karly said...

Yes, baking soda, comes in a powder form.