Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sweet & Sour Meatballs

Like most of my recipes, this one came from Jefferson's Mom. I made it once and decided it was to much work but Jefferson really wanted me to make it again and so we decided to use frozen meatballs and it turned out great and was really easy! I knew it was good when Jefferson was still talking about it the next day. Talmage even liked it!

1 bag of frozen meatballs

1/2 of a 15 oz. can pineapple chunks (Save all the juice)

½ c. finely chopped green pepper

1-1 ½ c. pineapple juice

¼ c. brown sugar

¼ c. vinegar

1 tsp. soy sauce

½ - 1 c. water

2 TB. cornstarch

3 TB. cold water

Add the juice only from the chunk pineapple can and the pineapple juice along with the brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and water to the same skillet as the meatballs. Dissolve sugar in juices and water. Put the lid on the skillet and let the sauce boil down a little and allow the meatballs to warm. Start cooking your rice. After the sauce has boiled down, I usually taste test it to make sure it is sweet enough. If I don’t think it tastes sweet enough, I add a little more pineapple juice. While the juice is boiling add the pineapple chunks (I usually cut them in half vertically) and chopped green pepper. Only cook for another 3-5 minutes after you add the pineapple and green pepper. Then use 2 Tb. cornstarch mixed in 2 Tb. of cold water to thicken the sauce. Serve meatballs and sauce over cooked rice.

No comments: