Monday, April 4, 2011

Banana Cake

I got this recipe from my Friends Blog
It is the same blog where I found my favorite browned butter cookies.
Banana Cake

1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, very ripe
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/8 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Directions
-Preheat oven to 275°.
-Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan or bundt pan.
-In a small bowl, mix mashed banana
with the lemon juice; set aside.
-In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
-In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
-Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
-Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
-Stir in banana
mixture.
-Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated 275 F. degree oven.
Check it in about one hour (my 9x13 took closer to 1 1/2 hours, and I heated the oven to 290 because I was getting impatient), Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

-Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake
soooooo moist and easy to frost.

* I dont know how my friend does it but I take the cake out of the pan and wrap in plastic wrap before I put it in the freezer. I do this whenever I bake any cake because I love moist cakes!

Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese , softened but still cool
5 tablespoons unsalted butter softened, but still cool
1 tablespoon sour cream

2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar (4 1/2 ounces)
milk

* I did this amount of frosting for book club, and I didn't feel like it was enough. When I brought it to institute I doubled this recipe and I thought it was perfect, but I LOVE frosting. I also didn't add any milk.

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl with a hand mixer until smooth. Icing will be thick. Spread on the cake as is or add additional milk by the tablespoons until it is a consistency you like. Spread on cooled cake.

No comments: